Getting a Marriage License in Tucson and What To Know to Elope! | Stewart Kuper Jewelers

Getting a Marriage License in Tucson and What To Know to Elope!

January 1, 2021
Helix House

Welcome back to another entry of the Stewart Kuper Jewelers blog! Last month we talked about how this past year and the COVID-19 pandemic may be changing weddings for the future, and to be sure it’s also having quite the impact on those that were planned for right now. Some folks who were gearing up to tie the knot are switching up their plans and going for a more expedient process! This time on the blog we’re going to talk you through how to elope! So go get your marriage license Tucson! You’ll be married in no time!

What Does it Mean to “Elope”?

Traditionally speaking, eloping meant to run away and get married in secret without the families knowing. Nowadays the term is used much more broadly (so you don’t need to follow any secret rules!) to encompass any marriage that’s done quickly or forgoing a ceremony. 

Sounds Good, How Do I Elope?

Eloping is easy! You only need a few things to make it happen: The will to get hitched, a marriage license, someone to perform the ceremony, and that just about covers it!

Here’s How to Get a Marriage License in Tucson, AZ

To get a marriage license you need to head down to the courthouse and apply! In Tucson you can head out to the Green Valley Justice Court or the Pima County Superior Court Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. The hopeful bride and groom need to appear at the courthouse together with a valid identification card. The law prohibits anyone under 16 years of age from getting married. Anyone who is 16 or 17 can get married as long as their spouse is no more than 3 years older and they are either an emancipated minor or they have parent or guardian consent.

Marriage License Fees

There is a small fee for getting a marriage license so be prepared with a check, money order, or cashier’s check, payable to the Clerk of Superior Court. Make sure you call ahead to verify the amount.

When the license is issued it will remain valid for 12 months and can be used anywhere in Arizona.

But getting a license doesn’t mean you’re married! For that you’re going to need some assistance!

Pima County Courthouse

Who Can Marry Us?

There are a few different people who can perform the service and marry you. They are:

  • A Justice of the Peace
  • A clergyman
  • Any authorized person (following A.R.S. § 25-124) 

That third option is where it can be a little confusing so let’s clear that up. A.R.S. § 25-124 specifically lists the following:

“A. The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons who are authorized to marry:

1. Duly licensed or ordained clergymen.

2. Judges of courts of record.

3. Municipal court judges.

4. Justices of the peace.

5. Justices of the United States supreme court.

6. Judges of courts of appeals, district courts and courts that are created by an act of Congress if the judges are entitled to hold office during good behavior.

7. Bankruptcy court and tax court judges.

8. United States magistrate judges.

9. Judges of the Arizona court of military appeals.

B. For the purposes of this section, “licensed or ordained clergymen” includes ministers, elders or other persons who by the customs, rules and regulations of a religious society or sect are authorized or permitted to solemnize marriages or to officiate at marriage ceremonies.”

That first option on the list “duly licensed or ordained clergymen” covers those friends and family who get ordained, a popular pick for many couples!  

So what’s left? You have your bride or groom, license in hand, and a Justice of the Peace or family friend ready to make the ceremony official. Don’t forget the ring!  

At Stewart Kuper Jewelers we set up a safe, personalized, individual appointment so that you can ask any question, look through any piece, and get any individualized attention you may want to make your decision and feel comfortable doing so. If you’re in the market for a ring, give Stewart a call.